And all are Hawaiian exciting style.
Disney has steadily been rounding out its princess empire with more action-packed roles for female heroines (see Elena of Avalor, Frozen’s Elsa). The latest CG-animated lead to root for: Moana, the teenage daughter of a Pacific Islands chieftain who sets out on an oceanic journey to track down lost members of her tribe. To stoke your inner wayfarer, here are five island beauty finds infused with healing botanicals.
1. Kauai-raised model Leilani Bishop began her own line of skin-replenishing fragrance oils to tap into her love of nature. Dividing her time between Amagansett, New York, and Hawaii, Bishop saw the need for travel-friendly roll-ons, all of which are spiked with florals native to the islands.
2. After suffering from cystic acne for years, Maui local Leah Klasovsky became a certified holistic aesthetician and started Leahlani, a line of restorative tinctures and healing treatments. Her Honey Love 3-in-1 works as a cleanser, mask, or scrub and contains a mix of superfruits, purifying rose clay, organic honey, and corundum crystals—just stir the contents to unleash their full detoxifying power.
3. Shaka Street Soap Works in Maui has been turning out small batches of plant-derived soaps since 2011. Of the 12 varieties, Melia is a popular pick—it layers fresh plumeria with creamy coconut, and like all the soaps in the line, comes stamped with a cheery palm tree wax seal.
4. Based in Kapaa, on the northeast side of Kauai, ‘Ili specializes in skin-softening body scrubs made with Hawaii’s most famous export, Kona coffee, along with local sea salt, vitamin E, and essential oils. The ginger-spiked blend boosts circulation and draws out impurities to leave limbs smooth and energized.
5. With oils that are cold-pressed or extracted using an advanced C02 technique to preserve the integrity of the raw materials, Kauai-based Mahalo Skin Care is both high-tech and distinctly Hawaiian in its approach. The new Unveil Cleanser Melt Concentrate (out next month) combines anti-inflammatory matcha, purifying willow, and pore-refining sunflower oil in a balm that, when mixed with water, transforms into a milky emulsion to soften and cleanse.