I. JOB BRIEF:
As the Finance Director, you will report to the CEO and will be key in the development of the financial and operational strategies of the company. You will be responsible for:
1. Finance Strategic Management: Develop financial and operational strategies along with the CEO/president and other members of the executive management team.
2. Finance framework: Improve the functional maturity of Finance.
3. Budget Management: Develop and maintain financial forecasting and budgets.
4. Risk Management: Plan and perform risk management duties.
5. Financial Reporting: Ensure accuracy, compliance, and visibility of all financial reporting.
6. Leadership and People Management: Provide leadership, direction, and management of the finance and accounting teams.
II. DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
1. Finance Strategic Management
– Work with the BOD and CEO to create and develop the financial planning and budgeting, and action plan that will meet the short-term and long-term strategic needs of the company.
– Develop robust capital structuring planning & execution, manage operational cash flow and capital structuring response to cash flow risk.
– Enact legal and tax planning in the region; provide the BOD with consultancy and legal update in matters relating tax in the regions.
– Analyze commercial impact and advise the BOD on ROI and maximization of profits using the financial resources.
– Establish and develop relations with senior management and external partners and stakeholders.
2. Finance framework management
– Ensure financial systems meet statutory requirements regulated by local authorizations, internal and external audits, and BOD requirements.
– Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial policies and procedures in the entire company including internal audits, cash handling procedures, dual control with joint signatories for all transactions, monitoring of barter transactions, management of assets, etc.
– Regularly update the structure, practices, and exercises of finance activities through continuous improvement to ensure up to date, accurate, effective, and efficient practices.
3. Budget management
– Analyze financial statements and propose to the BOD the improvement and development needs.
– Build and maintain the process for budgeting and forecasting; provide the department heads with historical budgets, sales targets, and high-level budget direction for budget preparation.
– Lead and own the budgeting preparation process up to consolidation and validation by CEO.
– Enforce budget in the payables process, unless exceptions approved by the BOD & steering committee
– Provide department heads monthly with actuals vs. budget; monitor, raise issues during the execution of the budget and advise appropriate solutions.
– Advise the BOD and BOM on funding applications to facilitate implementation of the budget.
4. Risk management
– Analyze financial statements and accounting reports to identify risks in performance trends, credit, and liquidity; assets potential market risks.
– Factor risks in simulating financial statements and present to the BOD.
– Proactively advise the BOD with risk preventive measures as a response to risk simulations.
5. Financial Reporting
– Ensure that reports, filings, and documentation comply with the company’s regulations, professional standards, and VAS and GAAP reporting guidelines.
– Ensure real-time, short-term, and long-term visibility of financial figures in reporting software and timely availability of financial statements to the BOD.
– Maintain and improve the framework for the reporting produced by reporting software to serve the requirements of finance and accounting standards as well as team productivity.
6. Leadership & People Management
– Lead and give direction to the finance team through the development and effective communication of operational and financial strategies.
– Build, scale, and sustain the finance and accounting organization. Hire, measure, manage, grow the finance team.
– Along with HR, build and update career plans and competency models for the finance team.
7. Other responsibilities assigned by the CEO.
Requirements of the role
– Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA and/or CPA highly desirable
– 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, preferably in retail industry.
– Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations essential.
– Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
– High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.